Linuxathome.net

Linux news and help for home broadband internet users
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:29 pm 

Hello,
I'm trying to connect a linux computer to a Windows 98 one. The Windows 98 has the cable modem attached, I just want to share the internet connection to the linux computer.
The linux one used to run windows and i had no trouble sharing the connection. I fixed the IP address, turned off the proxy (required in the office - it's a laptop) and put in the prefix nsw.optushome.com.au.
I just can't figure out exactly how to replicate those settings on linux. The proxy part is OK but I'm not too sure what else I need to set up.
There is a really nice guide on the whirlpool site that i used to set up under windows, anyone thought of doing the same for linux?
All the info I've found is about connecting your linux box straight to the modem, which is not what I want to do.
Thanks for any advice!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:16 pm 
Admin

If your windows machine is setup to control the cable modem and share the internet then setting the linux box up is just the same as it would be as a server except you dont need to setup a firewall or any sharing.

All you need to do is to get dhcp client running to get your ip address and setup the network name etc and you should be fine.

Post subject: Thanks - got it working
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:26 pm 

After various stuff ups getting connected to the network at work I just reinstalled from scratch and it works fine.
I'm not using DHCP because my home computer is Windows 98 - I don't think that has it?
I''ve just used fixed IP address

YEAH! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:10 pm 
Admin

Excellent :)

I mentioned DHCP because most programs used for sharing the net have a built in DHCP server.

But if your using Windows 98 SE's provided ICS then you will need the static addresses.