Is The Linuxathome.net Box A Good Idea?
Yes 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Depends On Price 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Linuxathome.net Box
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:25 pm 
Admin

I am currently working throught something with my boss and we have come up with a reasonable configuration and very affordable computer that will be pre-installed with Red Hat 7.3.

I am planning to have a section of the website (and a very small banner on the top of the forum) where people can purchase a Linuxathome.net Box for a home server.

What do you guys and girls think?

This system will be tested for compatability and thus should be a great little solution, even comes with a Tux badge on the front :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:37 am 

what are the spec's? and how much is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:37 pm 
Admin

Specs aren't 100% certain yet until I build one and install Linux and do tests, this is what we are thinking:

Duron 1.1 GHz, 128MB SDRAM, 20GB Seagate, Realtek NIC, Midi Tower 250Watt case, FDD, 52x CD-ROM, S3 based Video card (16MB or so) and onboard sound (cause you dont really need it).

Price is definately going to be kept sub $600, and it comes with a 2 Year Return To Base warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:49 pm 

Great idea Mayhem...I know it's not windows, but what would happen if it should break (it shouldn't, but if a user telnets in and screws with it), it's not like with windows where every man and his dog can fix it...would you give cheaper support than normal?

What about configuration issues...not all networks are the same (though for someone getting this service/product, it's probably only 2 or 3 comps with nothing fancy, but if they want to play new games, then they would need certain ports opened up on the firewall etc...

Just a few things to think about...though I'm sure you already have, and already have answers for...

EDIT: oops, missed this bit "it comes with a 2 Year Return To Base warranty", but does that cover the config when the latest game comes out that needs ports 23456 and 23457 opened? Would this even be an issue?

Once again, great idea! (nice forums too :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:55 pm 
Admin

Config will be upto the user, we might be able to provide some support, but only 2-3 people at work are good with Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:38 pm 

Still a great idea...hmmm...hey, you really only need to give them this URL and they'll fix whatever it is :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:12 am 
Admin

Wacky wrote:
Still a great idea...hmmm...hey, you really only need to give them this URL and they'll fix whatever it is :)

Heheheh.. exactly :) Thats the idea :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:26 pm 
Admin

Ok peoples, I finally had some free time at work today and we built a Linuxbox, let me just say its a little beast...

http://www.linuxathome.net/shop/

Its got just about everything you will need:

AMD Duron 1.2 GHz CPU
Gigabyte GA-7VKML DDR Motherboard
128MB PC2100 DDR Memory
40GB Seagate 5400RPM Hard Disk
1.44MB Panasonic Floppy Drive
Aopen 52x CD-ROM Drive
Aopen KF45E/A 250Watt Midi Tower
On-board 32MB ProSavage 8 2D/3D Video (AGP Slot Available)
On-board Realtek AC97 Sound
On-board Realtek 10/100 NIC (Setup for WAN - eth0)
D-Link SN5200TX Network Card (Setup for LAN - eth1)
Pre-Installled Red Hat 7.3 (Using Default Config)
2 Years Return-To-Base Parts & Labour Warranty
Price: $615 (inc. GST)

The only problem we had was setting up Audio, as the install didn't get it working, but that only took us about 10 minutes and we had MP3's playing :)

The box will come completely installed with Red Hat 7.3, with DNS, Apache, MRTG, KDE (possibly 3.x), MySQL, Webmin etc so it will be good for both server or workstation use. I am looking into an office suite to install also, and possibly some other software.

Please note: No keyboard, mouse or monitor.

If you would like to order one, please click here.

Post subject: I've ordered mine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:25 pm 

Well, I ordered 2 on the weekend, and got a call from some crazy dude called mayhem today :lol:

Seems I'll be the guinea pig who they test this out on :shock:

I've been told (after much begging) that it should be delivered this friday, so when I have a minute to post, i'll let you guys know what I think.

rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:31 pm 
Admin

Heheheh

I am downloading like crazy as we speak to get all the software ready for you box's rob :)

To tell you the truth we didn't expect and order so soon, but we are very happy and I will try and get the box's out to you by Friday :)

The systems will be built tomorrow and that gives me 2 days to install and test and then make a system image :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:45 pm 

mayhem wrote:
I am downloading like crazy as we speak to get all the software ready for you box's rob :)

The systems will be built tomorrow and that gives me 2 days to install and test and then make a system image :)

What do you mean "built tomorrow" ... what's wrong with TONIGHT?!? :wink: Didn't ya know that you can setup an ftp queue then leave the computer, go back to work, and start building those pc's?

Geeze. Some companies let their employees get away with slacking off for 18 hours a day.

On a side note, I got home tonight and finally my gamedude.com.au order has arrived at the post office, so i've got to pick it up at 7.30 tomorrow morning. Tomorrow night I'll have a lovely new flatscreen/tft monitor waiting for one of these boxes.

I'm off to bed now to dream of how I will fill my weekend with a new linux box, a new monitor, and trying to get firewire/video capture working in linux.

rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:27 pm 
Admin

Box's are installed, setup, ghosted and signed for, they are currently being packaged and then they will be sent out on the next courier today :)

You should have the box's tomorrow :) Probably before lunch :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:59 pm 

I'm the happy owner of linuxathome.net box 1 and 2 :lol:

They arrived today, and I'm impressed.

Sorry mayhem, but I had to open one of them up, voiding the warranty, to add a modem. Neat cable job in there.

I was a little disappointed though, because I was hoping/expecting a tux sticker somewhere on the case. I haven't checked, but could of sworn that was in the promo :?:

Oh well, i'll find one on the net, print it out and glue it on myself.

It was heaps quieter than I expected ... my current pc is a real noisy beast, and it only has 3 fans (cpu, video, psu). I think it's my hard disk that's so noisy.

Anyway, like I said, i was impressed for the price and speed of delivery (considering they had to start this from scratch then ghost the drives etc).

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:53 pm 
Admin

Yeah I was originally planning on purchasing some TUX badges (when I first talked about the boxes some months ago), but I didn't have the time or cash, will be doing so soon and I can send you two if you would like (sorry about that). I have one spare at home and thought it best to leave the box's the same... but yeah... your welcome to 2 badges when i get the time (mainly need to get like 24 of them which is about $44 or something and can't justify until I get more orders).

Otherwise you can get them here: http://www.lankum.com/store/catalog/def ... p/cPath/23 (used to be called cetus techology, its where I got mine).

Once again sorry about that.

As for the modem, thats not a problem, you haven't really voided your warranty, we mostly use those stickers as a means of knowing if someone has pulled the system apart so it makes it easier to trouble shoot etc... so unless you brake a board in half or something like that the warranty is still valid.

As for the cable tieing etc, yeah the tech boys do a good job, we like to make a system neat inside and out :) If you could see my system, then you will see how much attention we like to take :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:59 pm 
Admin

As a matter of fact I just found two "powered by Linux" badges, will mail them out first thing monday morning :D