Linuxathome.net

Linux news and help for home broadband internet users
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7vrxp
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:43 pm 

Hi, i just bought this board and i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

If it is compatible with linux and is stable and easy to use?

Thanks

Morpheous: "No Neo. What I am saying is...when the time comes - You won't need to. Do you really believe the variables and syntax around you is real, Neo?'"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:31 pm 
Admin

I have the GA-7VRXP in my new system, board is great.

As yet I haven't had a chance to test Linux on the new machine, but I am sure it will work fine :)

Only thing might be the Audio (might need some fiddling to get it working), but the LAN should work straight away as its a Realtek chipset.

Let us know how you go, if you try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:56 pm 

I got the board and for some reason the video card wouldn't load.
I tried the new card in one of my old computers and it loaded, and tried one of my old vid card in the 7vrxp m/b and it didn't work again.
The computer would start up but the monitor wouldn't turn on.

I called the guy that i bought it from, he said that he has had a few probs with this board and said that my leadtek gf4 4200 isn't compatiable with the m/b, i find this a little hard to believe is this true?

Is there any other probs i gotta know about the board?

I heard that rev 2.0 is out as well, should i bother getting that one?

Thanks

Morpheous: "No Neo. What I am saying is...when the time comes - You won't need to. Do you really believe the variables and syntax around you is real, Neo?'"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:48 pm 
Admin

Yeah there are a few problems with the GeForce 4's, but I was under the impression it was only the MX ones which nobody should EVER buy, other than that issue the board is awesome... definately would recommend it to people :)

Definately get the rev 2.0 board if you can as it should fix the problems :)

I am simply running a Hercules GeForce 2 Ti 64MB and will be getting a ATI Radeon 9700 (R300) as soon as they are released (they just run circles around the GF4's).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:32 pm 

I returned the board and it seems to be ok. BUt i have got a problem witht the onboad network card.

The light turns on when i plug the cable in but the light on the hub doesn't turn on. And i can't seem to get any sorta IP addressing from my linux firewall.

I have two other machines running win98se and the get online fine, but my new box (win2k) doesn't seem to.

Is this a hardware prob or a software prob?

Also how do i know if the extra two IDE ports are working as ATA instead of RAID, because i plugged my dvd rom drive into one of them and it didn't recognise it at all.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:35 am 

::StatiC:: wrote:
I returned the board and it seems to be ok. BUt i have got a problem witht the onboad network card.

The light turns on when i plug the cable in but the light on the hub doesn't turn on. And i can't seem to get any sorta IP addressing from my linux firewall.

Are you sure you didn't plug it into a crossover port? It's been known to happen :D .
Anything in your dhcp server's log (possiblly /var/log/dhcpd.log) indicating any problems?
ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew work?

Quote:

I have two other machines running win98se and the get online fine, but my new box (win2k) doesn't seem to.

Is this a hardware prob or a software prob?

Try putting in another ethernet card in that box and see if it works. If it does, chances are you've got buggered hardware.

Quote:
Also how do i know if the extra two IDE ports are working as ATA instead of RAID, because i plugged my dvd rom drive into one of them and it didn't recognise it at all.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:38 am 

For some strange reason it was the network i had some other network cable and i plugged that it and it worked, It was fine the only differnt thing now is that the network light on the hub for my computer stays on. This of course could also due to be because of the network card but i'm not sure.

My question now is that, is there a way to measure the frequency of my network cable, the one that works and one that i'm using now is 350mhz. I'm not really sure what is the reading for the other one.