Linuxathome.net

Linux news and help for home broadband internet users
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:09 pm 

err <-- mejer newb so bear with me :) . i have a smc 1211tx ethernet card in my system and cannot seem to get RH7.1 to recognise it at all, it runs fine under win2k (dual boot system) but when i boot to linux the lights on the card go out and thats that, i get no response from it, i have tried installing rtl83XX rpm and a netdriver one, to no avail, i am trying to use DHCP to hook up to O@H any ideas would be muchly appreciated thanks.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:43 pm 

If I remember correctly this is what I did to fix a friends box that had the same problem with the SMC card..

ls -la /usr/src/linux-$(uname -r)/drivers/net/8139too.c
if the driver exists
vi /etc/modules.conf
assuming eth0 is your NIC, add the following (or replace if you have an existing alias for eth0):
alias eth0 8139too
save and exit
depmod -a
modprobe 8139too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:21 pm 

alias eth0 8139too as Guru redlander suggested (G'day red)

or you can even try adding just:

alias eth0 rtl8139 if you haven't done so already. Note: assuming eth0 here as well.

I know the second works for sure because I used the SMC 112TX the Floptus installer gave me. I used it with RH7 btw and it worked flawlessly.

Post subject: cheers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:33 pm 

Thanks for your help :D

It led me to discover that the drivers/net directory does not exist on my hdd .. oddness , i went to install other rpm's and kept getting a package error , it does not supply any information just says package error and the name of the package ... i believe the card is working but has no configuration files ... the modules file had the same string you suggested in it from another fresh install i tried, so cross's out one possiblility, i will attempt to learn how to install from the *.c files and see how i go , thanks again for the help

MrJingle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:42 pm 

The directory that redlander suggested is where you'd find the source code for the network card's driver. The acutal driver should be in
/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/

To see if the driver's been loaded properly, do:
lsmod | grep 8139

If it's there, the card's working; you just need to configure the network. I'd suggest using linuxconf to configure the card (it's pretty easy). Otherwise, just connect to optus with:
dhcpcd eth0

bukharin

Post subject: arrgh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:26 am 

I tried all the above ... apparently i do have the 8139too.o file in my drivers directory. when i did lsmod | grep 8139 i got 8139too coming up , so i assume it thinks it is installed, the lights on my network card have not come on since i have installed RH. and i still cant access the network, at boot when it says Bringing up interface eth0 it just [FAILED] all the time, i have absolutely no idea what to do , perhaps i should sacrifice the 5 cd's to burn RH8.0 or go with another flavour altogether ... any suggestions would be helpful i wont be able to get a new version for a week or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:56 pm 

hrmm...Check the following:

dmesg | grep eth or grep eth /var/log/dmesg
cat /proc/pci
cat /proc/interrupts

Make sure that your IRQ is correct on all of the above.

Running out of ideas...

Last resort: Get a better NIC - SMC is crap =) Go with Netgear, 3COM or Intel depending on your budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:02 pm 

Not that this will in anyway help but im using the optus NIC in my server(RH7.3)...works fine. Autodetected on installation and never a problem since...multiple kernel recompiles and all...

Post subject: irq may be issue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:17 pm 

I have tried all of the above ... the best result i have gotten so far is a message at boot that says ... insmod : /path_to_driver : insmod eth0 FAILED
Bringing up eth0 [FAILED]
the system knows it has a SMC 1211tx card in it .. i used netconf and linuxconf and they both say it is a SMC using the realtek drivers in 8139too module (all looks as i was told it should) but still no lights on the network card .... :(
i checked all the irq's and the only thing i could see that looked odd was that the onboard graphics card (i have disabled this in bios) is still detected and has the same IRQ as the network card ( 10 ) <- i am not sure whether this is allowed ... is there a way to just change the irq of a device or ? ? ? .. beginning to wonder if maybe all us simpletons out there should just stick to windoze. cant be THAT hard to install something ... can it . . . . .

MrJingle